The Columbia County, named for the Columbia River, was created in 1854. It is the third smallest, in size, county in Oregon. Its first District Court met in 1854 in Milton.
The first Columbia County Courthouse was built a few years after the county seat was relocated to Saint Helens from Milton. That original building was replaced, by present courthouse, in 1906. This historic landmark took its façade stones from the nearby basalt rock quarry. The signature clock tower and bell were added in 1910.
Following the move of the various county offices, to the connecting annex in 1968, a museum comes to the courthouse, featuring exhibits on the early logging and maritime industry of the Columbia River.
Directly in front of the annex entrance is the original fog bell from the Warrior Rock Lighthouse on Sauvie Island. The present courthouse represents early Columbia County life and it is leaving its mark in the world of movies too thanks to its appearance in several films.
For contact information and courthouse location, please see the Contact Us and Courthouse Location pages.
Honorable Jenefer Stenzel Grant, Presiding Judge
Honorable Ted E. Grove
Honorable Cathleen B. CallahanTrial Court Administrator
Susan J. Hill Court Operations Supervisor
Natalie A. Otero