Skip to Main Content

Types of Cases Handled in Juvenile Court

Dependency petitions involve a person who is under 18 years of age. A petition may be filed for a child who is beyond the control of his/her parents; who is dependent for care and support on a public or private child-caring agency; whose parents have abandoned, neglected or abused the child; or who has run away from home. Any person may file a petition in the juvenile court alleging that a child is within the jurisdiction of the court, although petitions are usually filed by a child-care agency.

Delinquency petitions involve a person who is under 18 years of age and has allegedly committed a crime. The District Attorney, Juvenile Department, or Oregon Youth Authority may file a delinquency petition in the juvenile court.

Termination of Parental Rights is the extinguishment of all legal ties between a parent and a child. Parental rights may be terminated by consent of the parents or involuntarily by order of the court.  The rights of one parent may be terminated without affecting the rights of the other parent. Petitions are filed by the Attorney General's office on behalf of children who have been committed to the Department of Human Services

Emancipation is the process by which a juvenile 16 or 17 years of age can obtain most of the rights and responsibilities of an adult, including establishing a residence, work for adult wages and recognize the minor as an adult for the purpose of the criminal laws of this state.

Expunction is when the juvenile court orders the destruction of all or any part of a juvenile's record if the juvenile meets statutory qualifications and there is no objection filed. Once the expunction is ordered, the party may claim that the record never existed or occurred. Expunction form packets can be picked up at the second floor Juvenile reception area at the Juvenile Detention Center at the John Serbu Youth Campus, 2727 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Eugene, OR.  Please click here for directions and map.


Other Information: