GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT TRAFFIC CITATIONS AND COMPLAINTS
It is important to read your traffic summons as it contains important information:
The front of your summons tells you:
1. If you have been charged with a CRIME or VIOLATION.
2. At which court in Washington County you are to appear (Municipal, Justice, Juvenile, or Circuit.)
If the box for Circuit Court is checked on the top of your summons, then you appear at the Washington County Courthouse, Law Enforcement Center: 215 SW Adams Hillsboro, OR 97123
If Municipal, Justice or Juvenile court is marked, you need to appear in those courts.
3. The type of offense(s) committed
4. The base fine amount imposed
5. Your court appearance Date, Time and Location.
The back of your summons tells you:
1. If you are charged with a CRIME you must appear at the time and place set by the summons or if the summons says 'lodged', at the time and place listed on your release agreement from the jail.
2. If you are charged with a violation(s) the options available to you when responding to the charges on the citation are:
For Traffic violations do one (and only one) of the options listed below:
Option 1 - Personally appear at the court at the appearance time indicated on your citation to enter a plea or before that time, to orally request a trial. You have a right to trial, and if you plead not guilty when you appear, the court will mail you a notice of the date and time of your trial.
Go To Top
Option 2 - Enter a plea of guilty or no contest by written appearance. To choose this option do all the following before the time this summons requires you to appear.
1. On your summons, check AND initial one (and only one) of the following pleas:
☐ I plead guilty ____(initial) ☐ I plead no contest _____(initial)
2. Sign and date the summons AND
3. Deliver the summons and any optional attached written statement AND
4. With the summons, send or take to the court a check or money order for the full base fine amount as shown on the front of the summons.
Important: Choosing this option makes a written appearance and waives your right to trial. If you plead GUILTY, you agree to the penalties for you offense. If you plead NO CONTEST, you consent to any court judgment based on your plea and statement and the officer's report. If it finds you guilty, the court may keep all or part of the money you pay, but will return any left after taking out the sanction amount. If you choose this option, the court will not fine you more without giving you notice to come to a hearing.
Option 3 - Enter a plea of not guilty by written appearance. To choose this option do all of the following before the time the summons requires you to appear.
1. Sign and date the back of your summons AND
2. Deliver to the court the summons by itself or with a written request for trial.
IMPORTANT: Choosing this option makes a written request for hearing. The court will give you notice of the time and place when you MUST appear. The court may impose penalties if you do not appear at the time given on your summons. The court may require you to deposit money to assure your appearance if you have failed to appear on any offense charges in the past.
Go To Top
Washington County Court does not offer the option of trial by affidavit.
1. In any case, the court, AFTER NOTICE, MAY REQUIRE YOU TO APPEAR FOR A HEARING.
2. A copy of the citation and complaint will be sent to the Licensing Authority of Oregon to decide if a license suspension is appropriate.
3. For violations, if you are going to have an attorney represent you, you must notify the court and the prosecutor's office in advance.
4. YOU MAY MAIL WRITTEN APPEARANCES to the court under Violations Options 2 or 3 above, but the mail must arrive at the court before your appearance date shown on your summons.
1. IF YOU FAIL TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS, the court may order your driver’s license be suspended. (A $15 reinstatement fee will be assessed by the court to lift the sanction on you license.)
2. For violations, if you do not pay the full base fine in advance and do not appear, the court, without further hearing, may enter a conviction and a judgment against you for more than the base fine and up to the maximum penalty allowed by law for the charged offense(s) including the maximum fines, assessments, restitution and other costs (which may be substantially more than the base fine.)
MAIL CORRESPONDENCE OR WRITTEN APPEARANCE TO:
Law Enforcement Center
215 SW Adams
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
Go To Top
MAKE CHECKS OR MONEY ORDERS PAYABLE TO THE STATE OF OREGON
PAYING THE FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS IMPOSED BY THE COURT:
All monies imposed in traffic judgments are due at the time of sentencing unless deferred payment arrangements are made with the Court. A fee will be imposed whenever a judgment is unpaid in any part beyond 30 days from the date the judgment is entered in the case register, or at such earlier time as the court establishes a payment schedule that runs beyond that 30-day period, whichever is earlier.
If your account becomes delinquent your driver's license will be sanctioned and your balance will be referred to the Department of Revenue or a private collection agency. ORS 1.202(2) requires the court to add a fee to cover the actual cost of collection.
The court accepts Cash, Checks, Money Orders and Credit Cards.
Credit card payments will be taken over the phone for cases not having restitution or compensatory fine payments to victims.
Go To Top